Cool Japan Fund was founded in November 2013 as a public-private fund with the aim of supporting and
promoting the development of demand overseas for excellent Japanese products and services.
Cool Japan Fund aims to commercialize the “Cool Japan” and increase overseas demand by providing risk capital
for businesses across a variety of areas, including media & content, food & services, and fashion & lifestyle.
Cool Japan Fund makes investment decisions based on criteria defined by the Japanese government:
- ①Alignment with policy
- （Being a risk money provider for bringing excellent Japanese products and services to overseas markets）
- ②Profitability and performance
- （Appropriate managerial structure、Rational return from investment、High probability of a successful exit）
- ③Wider influence
- （Supporting Japanese industry、Collaboration with other companies or sectors、Having a broadcasting effect、Pioneering new markets、Providing a shared business base）
Basic Policy for investment activity
Cool Japan Fund finances or/and provides hands-on support to the following types of projects:
- Platform projects
- Create robust business platforms to enable continuous development of products and services supporting the establishment of strong brands and market positions.
- Supply chain projects
- Optimize supply chains by resolving distribution bottlenecks confronting companies trying to expand out of Japan. These improved supply chains can lead to competitive advantages in cost efficiency and product quality, helping to sustain successful overseas development.
- Regional SME support projects
- Support collaborative overseas expansion by regional companies and SMEs utilizing the platforms and supply chains.
Create and maintain a medium- to long-term foundation for Cool Japan by supporting travel-related businesses that promote inbound tourism in association with regional tourism resources.
These initiatives can catalyze the formation of robust communities where regional manufacturers, creative artists, designers and others can flourish.